Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Flaw Of Averages

I've added an Amazon.com ad with some suggested reading for Waiver Wire visitors. All of these are likely to be either entertaining or useful for fantasy baseball players. You can cycle through the full list of ten books using the up and down arrows that appear in the ad.

One book that I'd particularly recommend is The Flaw of Averages. I'm about halfway through it so far, and it's one of the more thought provoking books I've read in the past few years. If your education or job have had a heavy emphasis on statistical analysis, you may find a lot of the material in the book obvious. And if you're looking for something to spoon-feed you information about baseball, then it won't be for you. But I've found the book inspiring when it comes to thinking about various fantasy sports formats and how best to analyze them. It's already motivated me to write simulations to test out how to increase lineup variance in multiplayer daily fantasy contests and how much the results of certain game formats with playoffs rely on skill vs. luck.

2 comments:

Fantasy Alpha said...

I'll take a look. Have you read Fooled by Randomness?

Alex said...

Yeah, I liked Fooled by Randomness. I only got a few chapters into The Black Swan though. His pompous writing style just got a little too much to take. I'll probably give it another shot at some point.